Work on the HOMES sequel continues more slowly than a drunk dwarf in the dark. I had a wonderful suggestion presented to me by a member of my writers\’ group, as we discussed more and better ways to differentiated the various races inhabiting the world: even if you don\’t use it, write up a list of things unique about trolls. I decided to do it. This is an ongoing list I will add to intermittently.
- Trolls are quietly guilty about their carnivorous habits, and the carnivorous habits of their ancestors.
- Trolls don\’t see one gender as being over another.
- Salt is only a recent addition to the troll diet.
- Trolls keep seasonal feasts, but don\’t refer to them as such.
- Excepting Traders, no troll has ever seen a horse.
- Trolls practice an underdeveloped form of monotheistic animism.
- Trolls tend to keep a nuclear family, but often rely on the community to help raise children.
- Trolls don\’t farm; they are almost entirely hunters and gatherers, with a bit of gardening chucked into the mix recently.
- The only musical instruments trolls use are percussion, mouth harps, and buzzing instruments (such as primitive kazoos).
- Your average troll is actually an excellent dancer.
|\”A Troll walks into bar…\” This is a draft image from Claudia for The Broken Cask.|